Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at those who are interested in learning more about the Forest School approach to learning and who would like to help out at an existing Forest School.
It can also be used as a first step for those considering taking Forest School Leader training at a later date
- Participants need to be over 16 years of age and have an interest in working with children and young people outdoors.
Course Cost: £200
Two days of training to cover
- Understanding the Forest School Approach to Learning
- Practical Forest School skills
Training days run from 9.30am – 4.30pm in an outdoor setting
A short Level 1 workbook which should be completed within 6 months of the start of the course
As part of the coursework you will need to attend at least 1 Forest School session run by a Level 3 Qualified Forest School Leader and complete your observations of this session.
The Level 1 course will provide you with the skills necessary to become an effective member of a Forest Schools delivery team. We will discuss the Forest school approach to learning, risk management and the impacts of Forest school on a woodland environment. Practical skills covered will include safe lighting, management and use of a campfire in a Forest School setting, safe use of a range of hand tools and a variety of games and activities. The course will be run on Forest School principles, so you will see the Forest School ethos in action.
Will this course lead to an accreditation?
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded a OCNWMR Level 1 Award in Introduction to Forest School Principles (QCF)
Please note that the Level 1 qualification will not entitle you to lead your own Forest School sessions. If you would like to know more about Level 3 Forest School Leader training courses, please contact us.
What will I need for the course?
Please make sure you bring the following with you each day:
- Packed lunch, cup and snacks
- Suitable outdoor clothing for the weather conditions (trousers, not shorts)
- Stout shoes or boots. Please do not wear sandals
- A camera can be useful for recording some of the activities
We will be provide:
- Tea coffee and biscuits
- All required paperwork
- All tools and equipment for the outdoor tasks
(N.B. For a variety of reasons we would ask you not to bring your own tools)
Optional mentoring days at Woods Mill: Friday 24 November 2017
Course Dates 2018
- Monday 5 & Tuesday 6 March 2018: Introduction to Forest School Principles, Friston Forest, East Sussex
- Monday 14 & Tuesday 15 May 2018: Introduction to Forest School Principles, Tilgate Park, West Sussex
- Monday 8 & Tuesday 9 October 2018: Introduction to Forest School Principles, Tilgate Park, West Sussex
Optional mentoring days at Woods Mill: Friday 26 January, 16 March, 11 May, 14 September & 23 November 2018
Course Dates 2019
NEW PRICE FOR FOR 2019 - £250
- Tuesday 26 & Wednesday 27 February 2019: Friston Forest, East Sussex
- Tuesday 25 & Wednesday 26 June 2019: Tilgate Park, West Sussex
- Tuesday 17 & Wednesday 18 September 2019: Tilgate Park, West Sussex
To find out more or to book a place please complete the form below