Sussex Wildlife Trust believes there is a need to move towards truly sustainable and accessible public transport systems in Sussex. We believe that transport policies should be founded on the principles of smarter travel: reducing the need to travel; increasing travel choices; and maximising efficiency through new technology.
Our transport policy supports measures which:
- Reduce the need to travel through
- well-designed towns, cities and neighbourhoods with local, accessible services
- actions to enable home-working and reduce workplace travel e.g. sustainable and efficient internet connectivity right across Sussex
- Improve public transport and active travel routes for walking and cycling, which should be integrated with strategic green infrastructure wherever possible
- Promote less carbon-intensive forms of transport and reduce dependency on private vehicle use
- Promote management of existing transport infrastructure to improve the impacts on nature, including
- reconnecting habitats severed by linear transport corridors
- sympathetic habitat management alongside roads, railways and canals and within the area under the control of transport hubs.
- Seek to minimise the damage of new transport schemes by ensuring the true benefits and costs to natural capital are considered